Sunday, July 27, 2008

Not quite neverdones

Way back in May, I mentioned a list I've been keeping on my laptop. It's a list of neverdones that didn't quite make official magicalmonkey status...things that seemed too contrived or too trivial or too....whatever.

What's that? Do I hear a rumbling amongst you?

Yeah, OK. I'll admit some of them which made the blog probably qualify as "trivial." Pedicures and visits to oxygen bars are not exactly significant occurrences. And running has made the list so many times that it seems like ANY running topic should be off limits by now. I have no defense, really -- only that I was in a mood to write when they happened. And it's my blog. So there. :)

Well. Anyway, I figured that the 2008 half-way point was a good time to post the "lame neverdones" list so far. I'll share more of them later if they seem interesting enough.

Size 6 jeans. It felt great last year when I fit into size 12 jeans for the first time in a couple of decades. Size 10 felt euphoric. Size 8 messed with my head a little -- I never dreamed I'd be in a single-digit category again. Then size 6 rolled around, and....oh....my.....goodness! That is just so unbelievable it's absurd. Technically, I'd never worn that size EVER, because the last time I wore jeans that small, I was buying the odd-number-sized clothes for juniors. But the bottom line for official neverdone status was that my ass was once the size it is now. Even though it was during junior high school.

Geocaching with kids. Ohhhhhhh wow! I promise you, geocaching with kids is not the same as geocaching. I am amused on SO many levels.....the questions, the stream-of-consciousness banter, the unfettered imagination, the absolute JOY of finding treasure! I'd wanted to post a blog entry containing nothing but the dialog, but I couldn't remember it all. Maybe next time, I'll take along a tape recorder and transcribe it for you. I didn't count it as a neverdone because it just seemed like a closely-related subset of geocaching. I realize that running on the beach and running in a 5K are also subsets of running.....but.......eh.

Flash mob event / cache bingo. I attended my first geo-flash-mob-event this year and played a cool geo-game of cache bingo, but I didn't count them as neverdones for the reason cited in the previous paragraph. Bingo was loads of fun, but the flash mob was not what I expected. That was partly my fault since I was running late, but it's also the nature of that type of event. The whole thing was over by the time I smiled and said hi.

Beach trip philosophy. I took a weeklong all-female trip to the beach this year. I've done that many times before, but different this time was the overriding philosophy -- do what YOU want. It was sort of assumed that you would be totally on your own the whole week -- come and go as you please, sleep as long as you want, stay up as long as you want, go to the beach when and if you want, go into town when and if you want, partake in activities that you enjoy and do nothing that you don't, and eat what and when you want. If your schedule or desires happened to coincide with someone else's, you could do it together. Or not. No one's feelings got hurt if you declined any sort of invitation to do something with the group, and when you did join in, everyone laughed and had a blast. Once in awhile I love to feed that anti-social part of me, and this trip hit the mark. Why didn't it become an official neverdone? I think I just wasn't in the mood to write about it. Too many other things were knocking around in my head at the time.

Relinquished hair control
. Never in my life have I said to a hair stylist, "Just do what you think is best." I did last month, though. I'd heard so much about the talents of a friend's sister that I completely trusted her judgement. I'm glad I did! This one didn't become a neverdone because it seemed too....I don't know.....vain, maybe?

Nose sweat. For the first time in memory, I worked out so hard that sweat dripped off the end of my nose. This amuses me, but I didn't think it would amuse you. In fact, I suspected it would be just nasty and gross. So I spared you the blog post. I did share it with my spinning class instructor, though, since I figured she'd be proud to be the cause. Apparently she was proud, indeed, because during the next class she made me tell everyone about my fabulous little achievement.

Squid salad. Sounds nasty, but it's not. It didn't make the list because eating things I've never eaten before just seems like a piddly, stupid type of neverdone. Although, I promise you, that if I ever consume something like a bull penis, it WILL make the official list. Don't watch for it, though. Seriously.

Ouch. How in the heck did I manage to grow up in the country and never get stung by a bee or a yellow jacket or a wasp or ANYthing? I did go outside quite a bit, I swear. Hung out in fields, by the creek, in the garden, and in the woods. Maybe I lived in a fairytale land where all the insects were nice. Like that bee movie where Tim Allen did the voiceover for the main character. I didn't see the movie, actually, but in the previews it looked like all the bees were nice. And, on second thought, maybe it wasn't Tim Allen....hmmmm. Well, anyway, yesterday I got stung by something -- I think it was a yellow jacket -- while jumping a teensy weensy creek to get to a geocache. It didn't become a neverdone because it seemed so passive -- it took no effort...I did nothing to earn it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the actor your are referring to in the bee movie is Jerry Seinfeld.

Bull penis is good! Actually I haven't tried it, but I would if I could find it. You need to try cow tongue if you haven't already. Chicken and duck feet is good too. So, many other good things to eat that other people would never try. That just means more food for me.

Hockeyhick said...

Al, I wonder about you sometimes...