Thursday, December 25, 2008

Pushup challenge, phase 2

[12.25.08] Progress -- bad. I don't think I was ready for boy pushups. Will need another plan in the new year.

[12.5.08] Boy pushups are grim, man....they are MILES harder than girl pushups. If they were a color, they'd be a bleak, monotonous, dull gunmetal grey. Yuk. I hate them. I can't do them correctly, either -- my floor bud tells me I need to go down another two inches. Grrrrrrrmph. I'm still at it, though. If for no other reason than to say I'm still at it. But here's something positive: While Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are dreaded pushup days, Tuesdays and Thursdays are now sunshine-happiness plank days. Yeah!

[11.26.08] I'm in the middle of Week 1, Level 2. My 12 pushups in the initial test actually earned my entrance to Level 3, but....yikes, that looks too hard! This morning I did the workout at home because of the Thanksgiving holiday, and for some reason it felt extra-hard -- in fact, I couldn't finish a couple of the sets. I'm wondering if the boy-pushup decision was a wise one. For about a year now, I've noticed an occasional, disconcerting "catch" in my right shoulder when doing some types of strength training moves. While this hasn't happened yet with the boy pushups, I get an odd, on-the-verge feeling.....

[11.17.08] OK, here I go. After three months of following the program outlined at hundredpushups.com -- and working up to 30+ girly-on-my-knees pushups -- I've decided to start over. This time, though, I'm going to do them boy-military-style. I mean, what's the point of ultimately being able to do 50 or 100 of the damn things if I have to include a disclaimer that I'm doing the EASY version? Nope. I'm going hard-core, baby. I only have one floor buddy left at work, but we've promised to keep each other on top of our goals. Today we did the initial test, and I made it to 12. I feel a little guilty that my form is not totally on point -- I just can't seem to make it ALL the way down to the floor -- but I'm hoping the proper form will come in time.

No comments: